answer to a nameidiom
Definition of answer to a name
: to respond when called by a certain name This dog answers to the name (of) "Rover." My uncle's real name is "Edwin," but he doesn't answer to that name. He prefers to be called "Ed."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game