Definition of annulene
: any of a class of completely conjugated cyclic hydrocarbons (such as benzene or cyclooctatetraene) In 1991, a temperate rainforest near Puerto Montt in central Chile yielded a fungus that made annulene, a hydrocarbon that has a history going back to the first formulations of rocket fuel.— Buzzy Gordon, Americas, 1 Nov. 2007 This class of annulenes, which have few hydrogens and are considered high-energy because of their numerous triple bonds, has also drawn attention as potential precursors to new carbon allotropes.— Elizabeth Wilson, Chemical & Engineering News, 3 Mar. 1997
Note: Annulenes have the general chemical formula CnHn where n is an even number or CnHn + 1 if n is an odd number.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game