variants: or annulated shaft
Definition of annulated column
: a column made up of a cluster of shafts seemingly held together by an annular band at intervals but commonly worked on an interposed stone plate whose edge slightly projects and often found in clustered piers of Gothic churches
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game