an·kus | \ ˈaŋkəs, ˈəŋkəsh\
variants: or less commonly ankusha \ ˈəŋkəshə \
plural ankus also ankusha or ankuses also ankushas
Definition of ankus
: an elephant goad used in India having a sharp spike and hook and resembling a short-handled boat hook
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game