an·kus | \ ˈaŋkəs, ˈəŋkəsh\
variants: or less commonly ankusha \ ˈəŋkəshə \
plural ankus also ankusha or ankuses also ankushas
Definition of ankus
: an elephant goad used in India having a sharp spike and hook and resembling a short-handled boat hook
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?