Definition of amplicon
: a segment of chromosomal DNA that undergoes amplification and contains replicated genetic material After PCR, the amplicon is captured by hybridization to a specific oligonucleotide probe, which increases the overall specificity of the test.— Benjamin T. Davis et al., New England Journal of Medicine, 19 Jan. 2006
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game