Definition of ampacity
: the maximum amount of current that a wire or cable can safely carry The longer the brush, the longer the life; therefore, when a brush is operating at 40 to 50 percent below the maximum current capacity (ampacity) per inch and has an extra long length, the motor can have a very long life.— A. N. Tsergas
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game