amounted to; amounting to; amounts to
Definition of amount to
1 : to produce (a total) when added together The bill amounted to 10 dollars. The number of people taking part amounted to no more than a few hundred.
2 : to be the same in meaning or effect as (something) acts that amount to treason Anything less than total victory would amount to failure/failing.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game