amount tophrasal verb
amounted to; amounting to; amounts to
Definition of amount to
1 : to produce (a total) when added together The bill amounted to 10 dollars. The number of people taking part amounted to no more than a few hundred.
2 : to be the same in meaning or effect as (something) acts that amount to treason Anything less than total victory would amount to failure/failing.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game