amo·mum | \ əˈmōməm\
Definition of amomum
1 capitalized : a large genus of herbs (family Zingiberaceae) found in tropical regions of the Old World and differing from members of the genus Zingiber only in having the anther cells divergent and the connective between them not long-spurred
2 plural -s : a plant of the genus Amomum
3 -s : the fruit or root of an amomum plant
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game