Definition of aminophenol
1 : any of three crystalline compounds NH2C6H4OH derived from phenol, distinguished as ortho-aminophenol, meta-aminophenol, and para-aminophenol, and used as dye intermediates, the para compound being also used as a fur and hair dye and as a photographic developer
2 usually amino phenol : any amino derivative of a phenol
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game