al·var | \ ˈȯlˌvär\
Definition of alvar
(Entry 1 of 2)
: the plant community consisting typically of mosses and calciphilous herbaceous plants that grows on steppelike shallow alkaline soils overlying Scandinavian limestones
Al·var | \ ˈalˌvär, ˈäl-\
Definition of Alvar (Entry 2 of 2)
: one of a group of southern Indian Vaishnava saints and devotional writers of the 7th to 9th centuries a.d.
Keep scrolling for more
Words from Greek and Latin Quiz
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary in April 2019
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 4/19/19
- Aww it's So 'Adorkable'
- 'MacGyver': The Verb
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game