al·var | \ ˈȯlˌvär\
Definition of alvar
(Entry 1 of 2)
: the plant community consisting typically of mosses and calciphilous herbaceous plants that grows on steppelike shallow alkaline soils overlying Scandinavian limestones
Al·var | \ ˈalˌvär, ˈäl-\
Definition of Alvar (Entry 2 of 2)
: one of a group of southern Indian Vaishnava saints and devotional writers of the 7th to 9th centuries a.d.
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game