al·var | \ ˈȯlˌvär\
Definition of alvar
(Entry 1 of 2)
: the plant community consisting typically of mosses and calciphilous herbaceous plants that grows on steppelike shallow alkaline soils overlying Scandinavian limestones
Al·var | \ ˈalˌvär, ˈäl-\
Definition of Alvar (Entry 2 of 2)
: one of a group of southern Indian Vaishnava saints and devotional writers of the 7th to 9th centuries a.d.
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game