Definition of alterna-pop
: alternative pop … an attempt to distance themselves from alterna-pop modern rock stations with a more aggressive sound and lifestyle approach.— Rick Clark, Billboard, 11 Feb. 1995 … her two albums have dabbled in all areas of alterna-pop, from moody melody to jangly guitars.— Gemma Tarlach, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, 14 Aug. 1998 … a self-invented alterna-pop star with pretensions to meaning deeper than her abilities … — John Griffin, The Gazette (Montreal, Quebec), 31 Oct. 2008
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game