Definition of altar society
: an organization of female parishioners who voluntarily perform certain functions (such as caring for linens, providing floral arrangements, and holding church fund raisers) to maintain a church’s sanctuary … members of the altar society had purchased or refinished many of the items in the church—the tabernacle, ciborium, candlesticks, planters, decanter, pitcher, basin and holy water fonts, along with sewing baptismal bibs and maintaining the vestments and altar linens. — Elizabeth Moore, Times-Picayune (New Orleans), 3 Feb. 2000
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game