Definition of aloofness
: the quality or state of being aloof or emotionally distant Her aloofness … did not endear her to the rest of the company …— Marybeth Kerrigan … there was an aloofness in him which the boys and I could never quite bridge.— Mildred D. Taylor His aloofness was … born more of insecurity than of arrogance …— David Cannadine … was respected for his military tenacity and his surprising aloofness from party favoritism.— Simon Schama
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game