allow forphrasal verb
allowed for; allowing for; allows for
Definition of allow for
1 : to think about or plan for (something that will or might happen in the future) When purchasing property, the company should allow for possible future growth/expansion.
2 : to consider (something) when one makes a calculation The total distance, allowing for detours, is about 10 miles. If you allow for inflation, he's actually earning less money now than he was 10 years ago.
3 : to make (something) possible The design of the system allows for easy upgrades.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game