Definition of allegoresis
: the interpretation of written, oral, or artistic expression as allegory The trend unfolded in the later Middle Ages in popular devotional texts … in which the Christ-Bridegroom identification, derived from traditional allegoresis, became rhetorically charged through the force of the Song’s love language.— Ann W. Astell, The Song of Songs in the Middle Ages, 1990
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game