Definition of alkanethiol
: any of various hydrocarbon polymers also containing sulfur that are deposited on a surface (such as gold) in a monolayer typically in order to create an electronic circuit … described how he and his colleagues have used self-assembling hydrocarbon molecules, called alkanethiols, to form ordered rows on a gold surface.— Gary Stix, Scientific American, April 1996
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game