Definition of aldermaness
: the wife of an alderman It is easy to dismiss the role of lady mayoress or aldermaness as peripheral and incidental to the distribution of power and influence within urban society …— Rosemary Sweet, Women and Urban Life in Eighteenth-Century England, 2003
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game