al·chor·nea | \ al-ˈkȯr-nē-ə\
Definition of alchornea
1 capitalized : a genus of tropical trees and shrubs (family Euphorbiaceae) with alternate leaves and small unisexual apetalous flowers in spikes or racemes
2 plural -s : a plant of the genus Alchornea
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?