ak·i·nete | \ (ˈ)ā-ˈkī-ˌnēt, ˈa-kə- \
Definition of akinete
in certain algae
: a thick-walled single-celled nonmotile asexual resting spore formed by the thickening of the parent cell wall, corresponding to the chlamydospore of many fungi, and usually germinating directly into a new filament — see aplanospore
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game