plural air hostesses
Definition of air hostess
: a woman who is a flight attendant Her name is sometimes shortened to Vikki. Studying languages at college, and wants to be an air hostess.— Philippe Kennedy Stewardesses—the term used as most airlines … exclusively hired women at the time—could be subject to sexual harassment by both pilots and passengers, who were mostly men at the time. TWA, it should be noted, used the term 'air hostess.'— Forrest Hanson
Keep scrolling for more
Our team at The Usage has selected the best carry-on luggage of 2021.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game