Definition of air freshener
: a device used to disperse chemicals intended to mask or eliminate unpleasant odors The bathrooms should also have matching towels, soap and tissue dispensers, and a candle or plug-in air freshener with a pleasant scent.— William Bronchick and Ray Cooper, How to Sell a House Fast in a Slow Real Estate Market, 2009 also : the chemicals dispersed from such a device This smell is sharp and thin and chemical, not exactly the smell of air freshener and not exactly the smell of air conditioning but acrid and a little stale and specific to Vegas … — Joan Didion, Esquire, May 1977
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?