Definition of air filter
: a filter that removes particles and impurities from the air: such as
a : an apparatus designed to improve the quality of circulating air by filtering out impurities Once the air is returned to the furnace fan, it is pulled through air filters to remove dust and dirt.— James L. Kittle, Home Heating and Air Conditioning Systems, 1990
b : an apparatus placed between the air intake and the engine of an automobile that removes impurities from the air before it is mixed with the fuel On older carburetor-equipped vehicles, the air filter is located in the housing on top of the engine.— Vyvyan Lynn and Tony Molla, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Auto Repair, 2007
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game