Definition of afterquake
: a minor shock following the main shock of an earthquake : aftershock Within one year there were more than 10,000 afterquakes, with most of the epicenters in the vicinity of Sun-Moon Lake.— Engelbert Altenburger, Focus on Geography, Winter 2004
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?