Definition of affordance
: the quality or property of an object that defines its possible uses or makes clear how it can or should be used We sit or stand on a chair because those affordances are fairly obvious.— Scott Lafee An affordance is a resource or support that the environment offers an animal; the animal in turn must possess the capabilities to perceive it and to use it.— Eleanor J. Gibson et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game