Definition of address bus
: an element in a computer CPU that transmits the location of stored information The address bus allows the CPU to send the address to RAM, and the data bus allows the actual data transfer to the CPU. The term bus itself refers to the connection between the two devices that allows them to communicate.— Neil Randall, PC Magazine, 21 Oct. 1997
Note: When a user or program needs information that is stored in a computer’s memory, the address bus tells the computer where to look for it.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?