active opticsnoun plural in form but usually singular in construction
Definition of active optics
: an optical telescopic system that improves image resolution by compensating for distortions in the material or shape of a mirror Another technological trick called active optics will nullify changes in the telescope’s structure that result from the effects of gravity and temperature.— Thomas Levenson, Discover, February 2006 — compare adaptive optics
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?