actio ad distansnoun
ac·tio ad di·stans | \ -ˌad-ˈdi-ˌstanz, -ˌäd-ˈdi-ˌstän(t)s\
variants: or actio in distans \ -ˌin-ˈdi- \
Definition of actio ad distans
: action at a distance or without contact Leibnitz held that the apparent physical impossibility of actio ad distans was an objection to gravitation
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game