act on/uponphrasal verb
acted on/upon; acting on/upon; acts on/upon
Definition of act on/upon
: to use (something, such as a feeling or suggestion) as a reason or basis for doing something They never acted on the information they had. It's okay to feel angry or jealous, but you mustn't act on those feelings.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game