Definition of across country
1 : from one side of a country to the other. They drove across country.
2 : from one side of the countryside to the other The river runs across country.
3 : by a course going directly over the countryside rather than by roads The group walked across country.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game