Definition of across country
1 : from one side of a country to the other. They drove across country.
2 : from one side of the countryside to the other The river runs across country.
3 : by a course going directly over the countryside rather than by roads The group walked across country.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game