Definition of acoustic reactance
: the imaginary component of acoustic impedance measured in acoustic ohms and concerned with the effects of inertia and elasticity of a medium transmitting sound and differing one-quarter cycle in phase from acoustic resistance : the acoustic analogue of reactance in alternating-current circuits
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game