Definition of acoustic impedance
: the ratio of sound-pressure amplitude to volume-velocity amplitude across a given surface in a medium transmitting sound, the relationship being measured in acoustic ohms and commonly treated as a complex quantity whose components are acoustic reactance and acoustic resistance : the acoustic analogue of reactance in alternating-current circuits
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game