Definition of acoustic impedance
: the ratio of sound-pressure amplitude to volume-velocity amplitude across a given surface in a medium transmitting sound, the relationship being measured in acoustic ohms and commonly treated as a complex quantity whose components are acoustic reactance and acoustic resistance : the acoustic analogue of reactance in alternating-current circuits
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game