Definition of acid radical
1 : the negative ion (as the sulfate ion SO4−−) of an acid : anion —now used especially by analysts
2 : a radical formed by removal of all hydroxyl or analogous groups (as mercapto) from an acid benzoyl C6H5CO− is the acid radical corresponding to benzoic acid C6H5COOH sulfuryl >SO2 is the acid radical of sulfuric acid H2SO4 — compare acyl
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game