accessory apartmentnoun, US
Definition of accessory apartment
: a rental unit that is located on the lot of or within a single-family owner-occupied home In 1991, the town moved away from an almost exclusive reliance on single-family homes and passed a law that began a process of legalizing some of Huntington's thousands of illegal accessory apartments. — Newsday, 14 Sept. 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?