Examples of abutment in a Sentence
The car crashed into a bridge abutment.
Recent Examples of abutment from the Web
Over the past several weeks, work crews have painted the abutments in Briganti-Dunn’s colors.
A section of the road is closed until further notice following the Clermont County Engineer’s Office’s determination that emergency repairs are needed for a bridge abutment.
Phillips said the abutments that support the bridge are in good shape and will remain.
The flood took out most of the bridges, although some, like the wood bridge at the Glenoaks crossing, had abutments that diverted the water and protected some of the houses downstream.
Voss said concrete underneath the bridge had decayed partly from salt entering the seams of the abutments over time.
The truck went through a guardrail into the center median and struck a concrete bridge abutment.
The former railroad line has been converted into a greenway with colorful murals and graffiti painted on the bridge abutments along the trail.
The agency also repaired abutments and performed additional bridge repairs in collaboration with CSX.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'abutment.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
ABUTMENT Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of abutment for English Language Learners
: a heavy structure that supports something (such as a bridge)
medical Definition of abutment
- A dental bridge, like a highway bridge … is supported by abutments, sound teeth on either side of the empty gap.
- —Mount Sinai Medical Center Family Guide to Dental Health, 1991
- Once the healing period is over, the gum is cut open again and a little metal cylinder called an abutment is put in the implant. It takes another few days for the gum to heal before the crown is put on …
- —Harvard Health Letter, 2003
legal Definition of abutment
- at the abutment of two properties
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up abutment? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).