Definition of abstract algebra
: a branch of mathematics in which algebraic concepts are generalized by using symbols to represent basic arithmetical operations Abstract algebra courses introduce students to advanced mathematical concepts such as group theory and lattices.
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game