Definition of abortuary
chiefly US, disparaging
: a place where abortions are performed —used as a term of contempt by opponents of abortion In the 16 years since the Supreme Court's Roe vs. Wade decision, more than 20 million babies have perished in the abortuaries of this country.— Jerry Falwell, USA Today, 10 Apr. 1989
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game