abbot nul·li·us | \ -nu̇ˈlēəs \
plural abbots nullius
Definition of abbot nullius
: an abbot who is exempt from diocesan control and under direct papal jurisdiction and who exercises the authority of an ordinary within the district in which his abbey is situated
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game