\ ˌäˌbäˈväⁿ, F ȧbȧväⁿ \
plural abat-vents\ -äⁿz , F -äⁿ \
Definition of abat-vent
1 : a series of sloping boards used (as in a belfry light) to break the wind without obstructing the passage of air or sound
2 : a sloping roof (as of a penthouse)
3 : a metal chimney cap
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game