a/one step ahead ofidiom
Definition of a/one step ahead of
1 : better prepared than (someone or something) The teacher really has to work to keep one step ahead of the class. She always seems to be one step ahead of me.
2 : able to avoid being caught or found by (someone or something) So far the killer has managed to stay one step ahead of the police/law.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game