a watched pot never boilsidiom
Definition of a watched pot never boils
—used to mean that time passes very slowly when one is waiting for something to happen if that is the only thing one is thinking about
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game