a tough/hard row to hoenoun phrase
Definition of a tough/hard row to hoe
: something that is difficult to do or deal with I am considering becoming a doctor, but I know that it's a tough row to hoe.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game