Definition of a long story
(Entry 1 of 3)
: a description of how something happened that is complicated to explain "Why are you late?" "It's a long story. I'll tell you later."
run a storyidiom (1)
Definition of run a story (Entry 2 of 3)
: to print an article The magazine ran a story about the scandal.
tell a different storyidiom (2)
Definition of tell a different story (Entry 3 of 3)
: to show that something different is true from what someone says is true He said he wasn't at the scene of the crime, but the fingerprints tell a different story.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game