a shot across the/someone's bow(s)idiom
Definition of a shot across the/someone's bow(s)
: a warning to not do something or to stop doing something The fine is a shot across the bow to an industry that thinks it can ignore the law.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?