a shock to the/someone's systemidiom
Definition of a shock to the/someone's system
: something that has a sudden and usually unpleasant effect on someone The cold weather was a shock to my system after being in the tropics. For freshmen, college life can be a real shock to the system.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game