a roll of the diceidiom
Definition of a roll of the dice
—used to say that something could have either a good result or a bad result Opening a new restaurant is always a roll of the dice.It's a roll of the dice whether we succeed or fail.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game