a nodding acquaintancenoun
Definition of a nodding acquaintance
: a small amount of knowledge about someone or something We only have a nodding acquaintance with each other. I only have a nodding acquaintance with Greek history.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game