a monkey on someone's backidiom
Definition of a monkey on someone's back
: a problem that someone cannot easily get rid of or solve : a problem or situation that makes someone unhappy and that lasts for a long time His drug addiction has been a monkey on his back for years.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game