a man/woman/person to be reckoned withnoun phrase
Definition of a man/woman/person to be reckoned with
: someone who is strong and cannot be ignored When he won his first three matches, the other players realized that he was a man to be reckoned with.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?