a lump in one's throatidiom
Definition of a lump in one's throat
: a tight feeling in the throat that a person gets when about to start crying or when trying not to cry The movie's final scene left me with a lump in my throat.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game