a light at the end of the tunnelnoun phrase
Definition of a light at the end of the tunnel
: a reason to believe that a bad situation will end soon or that a long and difficult job will be finished soon They are falling deeper into debt, and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. The work on our house has been going on for months, but we're finally starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?